- Our Knights & Distinguished Personalities
- DIGITAL EDITION
Thu, Jul 7, 2022
Top 100 C-suite executives made significant contributions to the region's economies while overall managing revenues of over over $1 trillion in 2021, said Forbes Middle East releasing the Top CEOs in the Middle East list.
Their firms are currently collectively worth more than $5 trillion, it said.
Topping the list is Saudi Aramco's Amin H Nasser, who led the company to become the world's most valuable by market value again, surpassing Apple.
Adnoc's Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber was placed second as the firm took three of its subsidiaries – Adnoc Drilling, Fertiglobe, and Borouge – public, with Borouge's $2 billion IPO becoming Abu Dhabi's largest-ever IPO.
Rounding up the top three is Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum of Emirates Group. All three maintained their rankings for the second consecutive year.
The 2022 cohort represent leaders from 26 nationalities. Emiratis dominated with 19 entries, followed by Egyptians with 16, and Saudis with 15. Combined, these three groups make up 50% of the ranking. With 27 CEOs, banking and financial services is the most represented sector. Eight entrants work in telecom, and seven head energy and logistics companies. Four of the top five leaders work in energy.
To construct this ranking, Forbes Middle East assessed the size of the CEO's company using various metrics, the individual's accomplishments and innovations over the past year, and their impact on their firm and the wider industry.
Top 10 CEOs In The Middle East 2022
1. Amin H. Nasser - Nationality: Saudi, President & CEO, Saudi Aramco
2. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber - Nationality: Emirati, Group CEO & Managing Director, ADNOC Group
3. Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum - Nationality: Emirati, Chairman & CEO, Emirates Group
4. Toufik Hakkar - Nationality: Algerian, Chairman & CEO, SONATRACH
5. Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi - Nationality: Qatari, Deputy Chairman, President & CEO, QatarEnergy
6. Akbar Al Baker - Nationality: Qatari , Group CEO, Qatar Airways Group
7. Yousef Abdullah Al-Benyan, Nationality: Saudi, Vice-Chairman & CEO, SABIC
8. Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Nationality: Emirati, Group Chairman & CEO, DP World
9. Syed Basar Shueb, Nationality: Emirati CEO & Managing Director, IHC
10. Osama Rabie, Nationality: Egyptian Chairman & Managing Director, Suez Canal Authority
Top Islamic finance institutions vie for WIBC awardsWed, Nov 27, 2019
Swiss private bank Mirabaud opens Abu Dhabi officeTue, Nov 26, 2019
250 HNWIs to attend Dubai summitMon, Nov 18, 2019
1,000 experts to attend World Islamic Banking ConferenceWed, Nov 13, 2019
Top Defence ShowAutumn 2019
Investing in PeopleAutumn 2019
Billionaire numbers dropWed, Sep 4, 2019
Malta's Dr Muscat - Man of resolve, reformsWed, Jun 26, 2019
Small Malta 'has much to offer'Mon, Jun 24, 2019
Ultra-rich numbers to grow 22pcWed, Mar 6, 2019
‘We all live, breathe and sleep what we do’Autumn 2018
BAE Systems brings its expertiseAutumn 2018
Revolutionising SquashAutumn 2018
Family, the Driving ForceAutumn 2018
Mena billionaire wealth hits $165bnSun, Oct 28, 2018